Monday 22 April 2013

Attack of the 'What If's'!

Yesterday, I treated myself to a pregnancy magazine. Thinking (rather naively as it turns out), that it would make me feel better about all the weird pains, the bad skin, and the impending (and inevitable) labour process.

I was wrong.

All the pictures of happy, gorgeous pregnant women did nothing to raise my currently lowered self esteem, nor did the maternity fashion spread, in which the most 'affordable' item of clothing was a Tunic (spelt 'tunique') going for $77 AUD. Add to that the article about the 3 stages of labour in which I read this;

"It is absolutely paramount during labour that you feel 100% safe, as this sets up a colossal chain reaction mentally that can affect your labour physically. Feelings of fear or anger automatically activate our fight and flight hormones such as adrenaline, which quickens the heart rate, tenses muscles, intensifies pain, and during labour, inhibits the synthesis of oxytocin for productive labour contractions. Fear and anger in childbirth become like a strong head wind, hindering progress and lengthening the whole process."

Good. God.

A mild panic attack quickly followed, in which I tried to call my husband at work. No answer. I had a shower to calm down, but ended up crying instead. Quite simply, I have absolutely no faith in my ability to get through labour without a panic attack.

What if I cause baby distress?
What if I make it lose oxygen?
What if the midwife yells at me?
What if I pass out?
What if the doctors think I'm crazy?
What if it's my fault something goes wrong?
What if.......

Be strong little baby, we will make it through together. Somehow. 



2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess - a bit late reading this! I just wanted to reassure you that when you're in labour I doubt you'll have the time or energy to have a panic attack. My body completely took over, I wasn't thinking at all; in fact apparently I fell asleep between contractions! The midwife WILL yell, but it won't be at you, it'll be WITH you. Everyone is on your side, no matter how you're feeling. I also remember feeling angry during labour (as did all my Mummy friends), and it didn't adversely affect anything - in fact it helped with my determination to just get it all over with! It's a REALLy scary prospect, but I promise you will get through it. xxx Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks heaps for that reassurance - getting it over with sounds like a great plan :) xx

      Delete