Sunday 25 May 2014

Family Getaway

At the end of this week, we are going on our second family trip.

The first time was bad enough, travelling for 6 hours through mountain roads to arrive near midnight with a screaming carsick 5 month old was not the most pleasant experience of my life.

I am becoming increasingly anxious about this holiday, perhaps it would be better if we just didn't go. I do believe it would be more relaxing. That's the weird thing though, for me, it will be just another day, it will just be slightly more complicated because I won't have everything she could possibly need at my disposal. But from Husband's point of view, this is a holiday. For him it's some time off work and away from day to day life.

There are so many things to consider now. It's no longer simply  a matter of 'have you packed yet?' "No, but we aren't leaving for an hour, so will do it soon."

It's now become an exercise in military planning. A week out, I am thinking of what will be the best time to leave. Just on bubba's bed time? Or VERY early morning before she is usually awake? Whichever one we chose, it CANNOT be at a time when she would normally be awake. So, instead of our normally leisurely day long drives to the parents, we are thinking of getting up at the ungodly hour of 3am, or alternatively, leaving at her bed time (roughly 7pm) and arriving just after midnight. Neither seems a preferable option.

We also have to negotiate what to pack, and HOW to pack it. Strollers, car seats and travel cots take up an enormous amount of space, so we must endeavour to pack as little as possible for ourselves least we end up having no room for the incredible amount of stuff we must bring for her. Honestly, it's ridiculous. I need a lorazepam just thinking about it.

Which is why I'm not thinking about it.

I should be writing lists, and starting to make sure we have things in place. But instead, I am spending all my time writing a Trust Deed, applying for funding and looking at budgets for the Festival which is running again this year. It's not that I like looking at budgets, it's just that I feel I have some semblance of control over a piece of paper covered in neat numbers and deficits.

Oh the deficits.

I forced myself to write this, because writing helps keep me sane, but I think I have a writers block, my mind is too wired to let the words flow. I am dreading this coming Friday.






1 comment:

  1. I really can relate. I don’t have small children and I really don’t know how I managed when I did have small children. If my husband hadn’t taken over many times neither of my girls would have learned to eat with utensils. I hope at some time you will be able to relax, if only for a minute or two at a time.

    ReplyDelete