Thursday 9 January 2014

Taking A Nap

I have started this blog entry three times now.

This is how hard I tried to get Little Bean to fall asleep for a nap today.

I put her in her cot. Curtains drawn, mobile on, heater on to take chill of the air.
This did not work.

I picked her up, swayed a bit, hummed a song, patted her bum.
This did not work.

Changed nappy, attempted breastfeed.
This. Did. Not. Work.

Bottle feed.
No.

Pacifier.
No.

Walked around with her.
No.

Rocking chair.
No.

Recliner chair.
No.

Sofa.
No.

Second attempt at breastfeeding.
HELL NO!

Blankets on. Blankets off. Mobile on. Mobile off.
No. No. No and NO!

I hung a sheet over the curtains to make the room darker.
No.

We went for a walk in the pram.
WIDE AWAKE.

Some more play gym time.
No.

Sitting in Bouncer.
No.

More walking. More singing. More patting. Rubbing. Cuddling. Rocking. Jiggling.
NO NO NO NO
NO!

Between 11am this morning, and 4:30 this afternoon, I had an awake Baby. And before you say, "maybe she wasn't tired", let me tell you something. A 4mo is 'supposed' to have THREE naps a day. THREE! She was yawning at 12:30. Rubbing her eyes soon after. She may have been awake, but she should have been sleeping.

Husband came home at 4:30. Picked her up and sat in the rocking chair with her.

Bottle feed.
Yes please.

Sleep?
"you know what Daddy? That sounds swell."

BAM!
Out like a light on Daddy's shoulder.

I feel completely rejected. Clearly, I am the worlds most incompetent mother.

1 comment:

  1. You are not incompetent until you stop trying to give her what's best for her. Keep up the good work! She will get there!

    ReplyDelete