Monday 27 January 2014

A Love Letter

Dear Sleep,
I miss you so much.
I truly loved you, and I'm sorry I never showed you enough appreciation before. It's been so long since I spent any real time with you, I can't even recall the last time we were together for longer than a couple of hours, and that makes me so sad. It makes me want to cry.

My darling, Sleep, I took you for granted, and I'll never make that mistake again. I'm sorry it took this tiny, sleepless being to wake me up and show me how much you mean to me. But I guess it's too late for sorry, isn't it, Sleep? Because now you are just toying with me. Playing hard-to-get and giving me glimpses of what I could have, but never actually coming through with the goods. You're leading me on, Sleep, and that hurts. But do you know what hurts the most, Sleep? The amount of time you spend with my husband, right in front of me, all through the night. That hurts, Sleep. That is really unfair. You could at least say hello to me, even a simple acknowledgement of my presence wouldn't go amiss. But you don't, do you, Sleep. You just keep on laughing at me, spending time in snoresville with him, giving him hilarious dreams and unbroken slumber. What did I do to deserve that, Sleep?

Now, instead of lying down and knowing that you'll be with me soon, I can only fantastise about such bliss, such all consuming, uninterrupted dozing. Those wonderful afternoons spent on the couch in the sun, we're not going to have those again any time soon, are we, Sleep? Nor will we enjoy those lazy weekend lay-ins together, huddled under the duvet with our heads buried under the pillows, pretending it isn't day time yet. There are so many fond memories, I'll cherish them greatly.

I hope one day you'll come back to me. I hope that day is soon. I don't know how I'm going to live without you, Sleep. Please, don't abandon me completely. I don't think I could survive. I understand that I've brought this on myself, but Sleep, please don't forget about me, ok?

I promise I'll wait for you. Until then, I'll cuddle up in bed super early, and wear my snuggliest pyjamas, and even wear the prettiest eye mask to block out the nightlight that I leave on, so that I don't feel so lonely when you're gone. I'll do this every night until you return to me.

Because, Sleep, I love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment