Friday 22 March 2013

What were we thinking???

A sharp, very confident rap on the door awoke us this morning at the ungodly pre-baby saturday morning time of 8am.

A courier. With a parcel!
From.....China??

Once I managed to break into the box, we were rather amazed to find a baby monitor (complete with night vision, LCD screen, wireless capabilities and two way intercom system), along with a baby doppler heart beat listener thingy.
But who on earth sent them? We certainly didn't know the chinese name listed on the customs ticket, nor had we ordered anything from anywhere at all. A little bit of sleuthing followed, mostly with the clues - who knows me by my married name, and who loves gadgets? In this wonderful day of the internet, the mysterious present givers were uncovered in a matter of minutes. Thank you, wonderful honorary grandparents, what a great start to the day!

Unfortunately, thats where it ended.

Having got paid this week, I was super excited to go shoe shopping for my rapidly growing feet, as well as potentially decking out the baby room. Yep, in my head, it was going to be that fast, and that simple. I should have learnt that lesson by now, shopping has never been, and never will, be something I am good at.

I got the shoes (and this GREAT pair of slippers which will no doubt ensure I am taken seriously at all times) with little problem, 

and then proceeded to the giant Babycity store.

OH, GOOD, LORD!

Where on earth, do you start. Cots are not just cots. They have levels, colours, ratings, different features, brands, some have mobiles attached, some convert into toddler beds, some have extensions, others have 'sleigh' ends. Car seats....don't even get me started. I stood staring at the wall in a somewhat disorientated daze. Do we need a capsule, a convertible car seat, a seat with a three point harness, one that reclines? Do we need to be able to clip it into a travel thing, or are we after something we can remove from the car? Bottles, breast pumps, breast pads, diaper disposals and cute little brightly coloured feeding utensils swarmed before me in a kaleidoscopic fury. Whilst push chairs, strollers, mountain buggys and convertible strollers with cup holders and ipod chargers (I may have imagined that one) were all jostling for my attention.

Buy me! You NEED me! Look here! Look there! You will NOT SURVIVE without us!

You have NO idea what you are doing!!



Before I walked in, my head was full of cot buying excitement. Tiny bottles were swirling around my brain, and I could barely contain my excitement at the thought of the cute peter rabbit branded blankets we could come out with. But now I was suddenly overwhelmed, intimidated even. I had no idea what I needed, or why I had even thought I could possibly walk into a baby shop at all. Should we be buying anything? How do we know what (if anything) we might be getting as gifts? Suddenly I realised I was hungry. I had to pee (again). Where was my husband?!

On the way home, I had a wee tantrum in the car, while stopped at the lights, with the window down. Something along the lines of "Why didn't I listen to myself when we were thinking of having kids. You knew nothing! At least I knew what we were going to be up against. This is awful! I'm so hungry! I already look five months pregnant! I'm going to BE A WHALE!"
The somewhat older than us couple in the next car thought it was hilarious, which then made me laugh, which quickly turned into the first (of three) set of tears on the way home. 
We stopped at mcdonalds. Baby wanted a cheese burger apparently. I bought a big mac combo and a cheeseburger, and practically inhaled the cheeseburger. NEVER has a cheeseburger tasted so good. Husband laughed at me and offered to drive. But dammit - we were in MY car. 
Well, finally we got home, and I am wearing my slippers (oh happy days). Although it is warm. We have decided to have a good look on online auctions - we think we have found a real possible winner of a cot (with all the bedding) which closes in ....42 minutes! I should probably get back to being a ninja bidder then!

Here is our happy announcement photo we used to make this ordeal 'facebook public' :) enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment