Wednesday 9 July 2014

15 Minutes of Fame and Terror

Stroller update: After my (admittedly excellent) complaint letter I sent them, the company responded in less than 24 hours and picked up, couriered and fixed the stroller all at no cost! Well done, Britax.co.nz!

On a similar note, our pretty cool phil&teds high chair almost killed the child, when the screws became loose in their plastic and the base of the table fell off. I complained on their website repairs request form, and despite not having a proof of purchase (I uploaded a note stating as such in place of the required proof), the company have sent out a replacement chair at no cost. Well done, Phil&Teds NZ!

Now - on with business.

I've been submitting some of my blog posts as articles for different news/current affairs outlets here in NZ recently, in a bid to get a bit more practise writing, a few more things to add to my writers CV, and to gain a bit more exposure in the hope of actually one day getting paid to write (one can hope).

I didn't expect much to come from it, and then, out of the blue (on the one day that our internet decided to crash and leave me without access for 24 WHOLE HOURS(!!), my Mum calls me (which she never does, it's always me doing the calling - just sayin' mum) and practically screams into the phone;

"What on earth have you been up to!"

I had no idea what she was talking about, and responded in kind.
After much to-ing and fro-ing I finally managed to extract from her overexcited self, that my face was apparently plastered all over the nz news website 'stuff'.




I feel that 'plastered' may be a bit of an exaggeration. As is, 'making it to the front page' as my sister delighted in telling me, those stories are not above the fold after all. But, it was definitely there.

I felt a bit proud about it all, and when I was able to have a look at it, the number of comments and likes and shares was simply staggering.



My first thought was;

"Oh my god my face is on stuff and hundreds of strangers have read my story!" 

Which promptly sent my stomach into somersaulting flips of socially anxious terror. I immediately jumped to the conclusion that everyone would know it was me. Everyone was going to be judging me. I was never going to be able to leave my house again!


I breathed.

I told myself that was ridiculous.

I said "in a week, no one will even remember the article. Let alone, who wrote it."

Then I smiled, realising suddenly, that someone with Social Anxiety Disorder would not be able to do this. That a few years ago I wouldn't have even posted a picture of myself on the internet, or commented on something online, let alone considered sending such a personal story complete with a picture, into NZ's most popular news site. The social anxiety disorder which has plagued me for nearly two decades, and which would have rendered me an absolute panicking wreck had I been in the same position in the past (which would never have happened because I never would have written a public blog ever!), was no longer there. 

Finally, I am taking pride in what I actually love to do, and making a go of it. I shouldn't be ashamed, I should let myself read the comments, surely that many comments can't be all bad. So I took another breath, and I read some of them.

And then I read some more.

And I was amazed, every single comment (103 so far), was either from someone who had been through a similar experience, or from someone who was being supportive. 

1,200 people were moved enough by my writing to actually hit the facebook 'like' button and post it to their page. 


This.
Is.
Insane.



My second thought was;

"Why didn't I include a link to my blog!"

Maybe I'll have to submit another story...

5 comments:

  1. With my first child I, too, had trouble breastfeeding. I won't go into details of why exactly, not sure if you're interested, but one night when it was only me and the night shift nurse in the room, she told me that they are NOT ALLOWED to suggest formula feeding. Not sure if this pertained to that hospital or nursing in general, but they were to give every possible support to establish breastfeeding and if family decided to give formula, the initiative had to come from the family themselves. Luckily for me their attitude was much better than your experience, I was given support formula-feeding WHILST continuing to try to establish breastfeeding, which eventually worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, so sorry to hear you struggled at the start too, you must have been stoked when it eventually worked! Congratulations :) I did find out that interesting info also, as well as the fact that apparently the only reason there is 'follow on formula' (6 months +) is essentially because advertising any sort of alternative food for under 6mo is not allowed. It really is all a little crazy, and honestly, I'm really glad to be out of it and don't think I will put myself through it again if I have a second kid. So glad to hear your story. xx

      Delete
    2. Oh, and about the tongue tie: my second child had it and we got it clipped. Right after birth my midwife checked it and said she's not sure, but she may have it. For several feeds I kept feeling that, yes, there's definitely not a good latch (which I knew only because I was familiar with what a good latch felt like with my first - if this had been my first, I would've not had any idea), but every nurse who came to have a look said that it "looks fine". I persevered though, and kept saying that no, there isn't a good latch, I can feel the nipple moving back and forth - which I, also, had the balls to do only because this is my second child and I have learned not to put up with other people's bullshit. We got it clipped and the physician said it was actually the strongest degree tie, but very difficult to see by just looking. And just today I was discussing tongue ties with my Plunket nurse, she said often half an antenatal group has them, they're not sure why they're so prevalent, but some voices reckon it's a side effect of folic acid supplements which women now take to avoid spina bifida.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are a star! How lovely that people have been so supportive with their likes and comments. Being a social anxiety girl myself, I know what a big thing it is to put yourself out there to potentially be judged by others. You should be so proud! My blog is poppiesanddaisies.blogspot.co.nz and you can link to my new sewing blog from there. I don't go into the anxiety much. but it sometimes appears when times are extra tough.
    Awesome news on the stroller front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow your blog is awesome!! If I could sew - I would make a vintage wardrobe also (I love to search through modcloth.com but sadly, can't afford most of their ADORABLE clothes). You are super talented! Thanks for sharing it :)

      Delete